Sunday, June 8, 2014

Back At It!


I'm back! The past few weeks have been packed full of work, graduations, and weddings which made it difficult for me to get out much. Thankfully, last weekend (yes, an entire week ago! I'm so behind!) I had a wide open schedule that allowed me to get back out on my bike and spend a few hours on the water with a fly rod in my hand.

Saturday's are for Riding

 


On Saturday morning, despite the recent rains and possibility of pop-up thunderstorms, my buddy Nathan and I decided to take a little road trip down to Branson to ride the White River Valley trail system. This was the first time that either of us have had the chance to get back down to this trail since last summer.



Thankfully, the weather decided to hold off and the trail was dry enough for us to become reacquainted with this excellent trail system. We were pleasantly surprised to come across several improvements that have taken place in the past year that have made the trails more rider friendly and sustainable. Any mountain bikers living in the Ozarks should do their best to take a day and experience everything that White River has to offer.



After a couple of hours of riding we packed up and took a dip in the lake over at Table Rock State Park to cool off and clean up a bit. We looked like complete dirtbags, but who cares. Gotta do whatcha gotta do! After a quick change of clothes we headed into Hollister and grabbed a bite to eat at the Ye Olde English Inn. Really cool old inn and pub with awesome food and cold drinks without the Branson crowds. Definitely check it out if you're in the area.

Sunday's are for Fishing

 


I finished out my weekend on the James River with a fly rod in my hands and smallmouth on my mind. Unfortunately, I was unable to hook up with any smallmouth throughout the afternoon, but I did get into a handful of sunfish and a chunky Goggle-Eye (Northern Rock Bass). I fished with various colors of Clouser Minnows and Wooly Buggers, but I'm wondering if I need to get a little deeper or provide the fish with a meatier presentation. Looks like I need to learn to tie a few smallmouth patterns!

Until next time...

 

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment